Saturday, February 20, 2010

Help! I'm lonely! Follow me!

I know many of you are reading this blog, but are not officially "followers" of the blog. If you are so inclined, please sign up to become an official follower. This helps me know who may be reading this and I can write specifically for my audience, if there would be something of interest.

For example, if I know which dental friends of mine are reading, I might post something like "the steriziliation out here in Uganda would send the CDC into a tail spin..." or if my neighborhood friends are following, I might say something like..."thanks for keeping an eye on my boys while Dom works out in the garage.  CAR!!!!"  :)

Anyway, I think you get the idea.

Well, today is Saturday. It's 8:19 am and I'm avoiding getting out of bed. I have so much to do!

In 36 hours, I will be boarding my plane to London. I can't believe it's here already!  Occasionally throughout the day, I find myself having a flash of reality and saying "I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M GOING TO UGANDA!" and I freak out for a few minutes and then get back to my routine.

I'm virtually all packed, just have a few items left to get and pack.  I need to go to Costco to stock up for my family. I also need to stop by my office and meet a patient whose girls and girl scout troop managed to collect 1000 pencils and erasers and pencil sharpeners for the kids in Uganda!  I'm so impressed by her efforts to support me on this trip.

The kids in Uganda don't take anything for granted and are not wasteful.  They use there pencils until they are small little nubs.  You see, they don't have a surplus of anything and they don't know when they will get a new pencil again. So they use their supplies wisely. 

This is a foreign concept to us Americans who live in the land of waste and plenty!

These girl scouts were so touched by that bit of knowledged that they wanted to send the kids there a supply of pencils.  They set a goal and made it happen through corporate sponsorship.  I'm so excited to give the pencils out and to bring home video and photos of me passing out the pencils to smiling children.

Tonight, I hope to have my "last supper" American style.  I'm craving a steak and baked  potato.  How blessed am I that I can indulge my cravings...

No comments:

Post a Comment